Thursday, December 20, 2012

Holiday pageant? I'll pass. Thanks anyway.

Last night, the learning center's two year olds classroom presented the annual holiday pageant. At 5:30, the seats were set up in neat rows so that parents and grandparents alike could enjoy the show. The two year olds changed into their finery in hopes that no one would notice the Pull-ups lines under their outfits. The lights were dimmed. A chorus of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer filled the room. At the end of the evening, teachers from all of the classrooms were handed cards filled with cash in appreciation of all of their hard work this year.

Or so I'm told.

I woke up excited for the event yesterday morning. I wore my third tier holiday outfit, so as not to get finger paint or spaghetti on my dress for more important upcoming events. I styled my hair a little differently for the special occasion. Annabelle and I babbled about attending the production all day. My dad left work early so that he could meet my mom and we could all watch the show together.

If you think I looked cute yesterday,
you should see the first and second tier ensembles

When the time came, though, I just wasn't feeling it. I was sleepy. I had a dirty diaper. There was something crusty and ectoplasm green in my special hairdo. I wanted food, a bath and my bed and to be completely honest, getting those things didn't put me in a much more pleasant mood.

I once received the advice that unless I'm delighted to be somewhere, I shouldn't go. I always want to present my best self and since I couldn't do that last night, I guess I'll have to wait until next year to hear what Rudolph does at the end of the song to get revenge on the reindeer who called him names.

No comments:

Post a Comment