Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween part un

I'm not sure how kids in the suburbs do Halloween, but city kids don't go house to house. We go shop to shop. This weekend, the kids in my neighborhood met in the main square for photos and a dog costume parade. Then, the area shops handed out candy to anyone in costume. I don't eat candy or say "Trick or Treat," (totally by choice on both counts) but I do like to watch big kids. I was happy to attend.

The princess thing was completely played out this year. I saw three Meridas, two Cinderellas, a Belle and a Snow White. Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn. There were a lot of monkeys, a few dinosaurs and a surprising number of kids dressed as lawn gnomes.

Based on my respect for the character and the fact that the costume allowed me to wear pants, I chose to go as literary heroine, Olivia. Some dum dum thought I was Olive Oil.


We're practically triplets

I suppose none of it matters, though, because I live in Chicago. As any Midwestern kid knows, even the most thoughtful costume just looks like a kid in a snowsuit by the time the sun sets on October 31st.

My costume? Thanks for asking.
I'm a kid from the 1970's whose dad dressed her.

No comments:

Post a Comment