Friday, May 4, 2012

Farewell, Mackenzie

Today was Mackenzie's last full day in the infant room. She begins her transition to the toddler room (gross) on Monday. As she moves on to the next phase in her life, I find myself reflecting on our relationship.

When I first met Mackenzie, she seemed very cold. She was already crawling and much more interested in playing with the likes of Kendall and Molly than some little 12 week old baby who couldn't even roll from back to front. She pretty much ignored me and her mom, Vicki (that's right, with an "i"), pretty much ignored my mom.

It became clear I was dealing with a couple of queen bees, here. Vicki and Amanda (Molly's mom) pretty much run the center's parents' group and it was obvious that their daughters were following in their footsteps.

As I grew up a little and assured Mackenzie I wasn't going anywhere, she warmed up to me quite a bit. When I started using the Rainforest Jumperoo and she was starting to walk, she even approached me for some eye-level playtime. She must have been babbling about me at home, because her mom finally introduced herself to my mom (nice manners) and started warming up, too. It turns out that Vicki is really friendly and must have just been too busy to say "Hi" (for six weeks).


The Rainforest Jumperoo - bringing infants together one bounce at a time

In the following days, Mackenzie showed her approval by taking my bag from my cubbie, trying to walk off with my bottles and stealing my mom's shoes every day at drop-off and pick-up. It was clear that my mom and I were the place to be. Mackenzie wanted everything that we had. One day, she climbed into my carrier in an attempt to get my mom to take her home with us. Smooth move, Mackenzie, smooth move. 

I wouldn't say that Mackenzie and I became besties, but we've certainly grown to appreciate each other and what we have to offer to the classroom.  Her presence will be missed in the infant room.


No comments:

Post a Comment